Tuesday, January 20, 2009

President Obama

We have a new President. We are on the precipice of a new era. I am proud of my country, of my fellow Americans, we did this, we made this happen. We have gotten us this far.

We face serious and grave challenges ahead, our nation is imperiled by economic threats, environmental dangers, by those who would trade our civil rights for a false security, by two wars, by a griping fear of what lies ahead.

But I believe that each of us can be 'the ones we have been waiting for.' The hard work ahead is ours, it is up to us. We can remake this nation. We have the opportunity to create a more just and equitable nation. If we choose. What do you choose?

At this fateful juncture, this can be the worst time or the best time for our nation. It's up to us. Let's make America great once more. Let us finally realize the great and enduring dream that is the promise of America.


*And on a very personal note, my frail 93 year old mother and I have been closely following Barack Obama since he was rumored to be running over two years ago. He is from our home state of Hawai'i. He is a local boy, and a Punahou alum, as am I. Mom was afraid she wouldn't live long enough to see this day, and she has. She has.

No comments: